Loading...

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Investment blues

Having observed the bull-run in the Sensex over the past few years, I decided that investment was the way to go to make a quick buck. I invested in a couple of mutual funds, which were 'recommended' by my savings account relationship manager.

That was when fate struck. The day my money went into the bourses, the Sensex began to tank down. I saw my portfolio dive downwards. I became nervous, and began looking at http://www.bseindia.com/ every couple of minutes, rejoicing at the tiniest increments and sulking at every drop. However, the net losses far outweighed profits, and at the end of the week, I found my investments having dropped significantly. My sole consolation was the rise by about 200 odd points in the last day of the week, which gladdened my heart.

Well, there's nothing much that could be done. Even if my portfolio continued to make losses, I could only brood helplessly, as I've invested in a tax-saver MF. Which means, a lock-in of three years. I'm however fairly confident that I'd end up making money at the end of the period, given the way the Sensex has recovered in the past few years from similar lows.

At least, this has given something to be excited about in my rather mundane life, and I'm thankful for it.

A tip before I close, for first-time investors out there. Your attitude towards your money, is what matters. You should be prepared for the worst that might happen to your money, and not expect to make profits right from the day 1. I have a don't care attitude towards my investment, and that's what keeps me from brooding :) .

No comments: