Loading...

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Nothing for the purists

Goaded by my friends-cum-roommates, I decided to buy a shirt for my birthday. One evening, we went to Hyderabad Central, a mall which contained 2+ floors of dresses. I wanted to buy a half shirt or a tee, and started looking at the first floor. There were rows and rows of shirts, most of them formals, from various popular 'international' brands. Though not interested in them, I did steal a look into their prices. Expectedly, they were pretty prohibitive, most of them close to a thousand rupees or more.

Then came the t-shirt section. My idea of a shirt is a pretty simple one.. A plain/striped tee would do, but I loathe tees with huge meaningless text/extravagent designs on them. They do look awful to me. In short, a taste of a typical purist. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite easily find what I was looking for. Most of the t-shirts had some designs... Eagles, Shakespeare(what on earth was he doing on a tee?), beer, a guy on skates attempting to climb a steep hill... and what not.

By then, I'd given up hope that I'd chose anything at all from that mall. So much so that I asked my friends to look for some dresses too, fearing that the 45-minute trip to the mall would become pointless. I then wondered.. what does it take to just make a simple tee and dye it with a color that is appealing? Why do people just splash it with some nonsensical graphic or meaningless text? Maybe they're of an idea that the 'youth' who buy such shirts feel 'funky'?


The very fact that there are so many disgusting tees put up on sale seems to suggest the same. Even if that be the case, I am pretty sure that there would be many like me who would desire a simple, uncomplicated tee. Am I not entitled to one? Are purists like me supposed to be confined to cloth shops where I'd have to pick some (so-called) old-fashioned piece and get it stitched to a shirt? I guess we deserve our own space too.



Anyway, after about an hour or so of searching, I ended up with the best shirt that I could find. I did want to take photos of a few of those horrifying shirts and post them here... But when I was about to take a second photo, the executive over there stopped me :-)... Here's the one that I managed to click...


11 comments:

sridhar said...

It s a marketing world .They sell what is being demanded . U have got to live with that.

vignesh said...

If you want a plain/striped one ,very formal why did u go to central ? Crocodile,Proline,Wills Lifestyle , come on you hav more options than the funky ones

Krishnan said...

Dei vicky, I never knew that central does not have formal ones.. Plus plain tees aren't necessarily called formals..

Pradeep said...

If plain tees are what you wanted, even those are available there.. And what is meaningless and awfull to you is certainly the fashion of today. World doesnt revolve around you. Grow up kid !!

Krishnan said...

@pradeep: There's no reason for me to embrace today's so-called 'fashion'.. I have a few tastes of my own which do not match with today's 'fashionable' ones.. And don't you dare call me a kid :)

Karthik Swaminathan said...

After all oru T-shirtukku ivvolavu periya blog a?!?!?!?

I hope that satisfies your longing for us to read your bloag and write comments.. :)

Allagappan M said...

mokai.ithana peru advice panniyum unaku arivu illena ..

Nalla post. aana ketta mokkai

Krishnan said...

thanks da swamy.. ennadhaan irundhaalum namba varuthatha ezhudharthukku thaane irukku blog.. :)

Unknown said...

Mr.Krishnan, taste differs from person to person... the shirt which u didnt like ll definitely be liked by someone else, maybe many.... Tensiona korachiko kannaa...

Unknown said...

Krishnan said...
"
Why shouldn't anonymous users be allowed? As long as proper posts are posted there's no reason to block them :-)
"


Y ve u enabled moderation for the comments being posted???

Krishnan said...

Mr. Vijay, I'm moderating comments since ppl sometimes post such nonsense in the name of comments.. That's what's forcing me to intervene..